UAV & Flying Drone FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I need to be certified?

To fly for work or payment you need to possess either a Private Pilots Licence (PPL) or what is called Remote Pilot Aircraft Systems (RPAS) Certification. UAVAIR is the first company in Australia to offer the RPAS Certification as a Certificate III Course.

Flying with certification as a professional allows you to gain Public Liability Insurance for your work and means that you avoid fines from CASA which can be up to $8000.

Our course is run over 2 weeks online and 7 days face to face, and gives you training in safe operations as well as working with qualified pilots that work in the field.

Where can the Unmanned Industry take me?

The sky is the limit. You might be looking to add Remote Pilot to your skills for photography or cinematography, you might be a surveyor looking expand your productivity and reduce costs, or you might just love flying and are looking to work in a range of rapidly expanding markets for remote pilots. In almost any industry there career is potential for remote piloted systems and training now will get your foot in the door.


What is the minimum age to be qualified?

The current minimum age to gain a CASA Controllers Certificate is 17.

What opportunities are there in flying drones?

The UAV industry is in it’s very early stages but is already growing very quickly. Globally the civilian sector is expected to more than double in 10 years to be worth more than $10 Billion and we are seeing much faster growth than that in Australia.

The career options are still developing however we are seeing two streams of jobs developing. The first is for dedicated pilots. These jobs involve a lot of travel and technical skills. The jobs tend to be in a variety of industries and require specific skills and risk assessments. The second area we see jobs developing are as a second qualification to assist other roles. These include cinematographers, photographers, asset inspection engineers, surveyors and agriculturalists.

There is also rapid development of new technologies which provides UAVs with new and exciting capabilities.

What skills do I need to learn to fly drones?

Flying drones commercially is very different to flying a microdrone around your house or drone racing at the park on the weekend. Many people soon realise that equipment for commercial work can be very expensive (some of our drone systems are worth well over $20,000) and pilots need to be highly skilled to make sure they come back in one piece with all the data they need. That’s why UAVAIR puts students through 2 weeks online course learning and 7 days of face to face training, when you finish your course you need more than just a piece of paper. You need skills.

In the meantime we recommend that you purchase a simple, inexpensive UAV and practice. Overtime you will get a feel for the controls and gradually develop the skills you will build on in the course.

What is the difference between a Certificate III in Aviation (Remote Pilot) and Remote Pilot Aircraft System (RPAS)?

The Certificate III in Aviation (Remote Pilot – Visual Line of Sight) is the only training in Australia to be registered with with Australia Qualifications Framework. This means that our course has been scrutinised for quality and is regularly reviewed to ensure it stays relevant, Certificate qualifications can only be delivered by Registered Training Organisations.

What it means for you is that you will graduate with a Nationally recognised qualification.

Do I need to bring my own drone?

No, we provide all the equipment that you require to fly for the course. If you are thinking of buying a drone, we recommend that you wait until completing the course. Through the course you will gain the experience of using different UAVs for different applications and are able to make an informed decision of which drone best suits your needs.